ROBERT AITKEN and WALTER DELAHUNT at LAMP
Lunenburg Academy of Music Performance, Nova Scotia
Innovative and creative … a new approach for introducing young kids to classical music using the flute and piano. [Download Script]
NOTE: The music excerpts below are small slices of the piece to give you ideas. They are performed by various artists … not Robert Aitken.
1. Set the stage … with different sized bottles filled with water.
2. Make the performance a game for kids by playing different parts of the flute on their own – without the head joint, much like a shakuhachi.
3. Turn the performance into a fun contest between the flute and piano. [Music Selection: Fantasie, Hue]
4. Introduce another instrument (piccolo) with a challenge. [Music Selection: An Irish Tune]
5. Compare the sounds of flute and piccolo by playing the same piece on both instruments. [Music Excerpt: Serenade, Op. 41, Beethoven]
6. Invite the kids to dance. [Music Excerpt: Bacchanal, Saint-Saens]